The castle has a particular and homogenous style,
in this sense
that the architecture
and the interior were kept in their original state.
It was in 1856 that the future castellans,
Baron Charles van Caloen and his wife,
Countess Savina de Gourcy Serainchamps,
appointed the English architect Edward Welby Pugin
with the task of designing the plans.
Pugin's task was persued by Jean Bethune,
who provided a more flemish character
to the construction.